The Port Richey Police Department is a full-service law enforcement agency that provides service within the city limits of the incorporated City of Port Richey. Currently, the police department is staffed by 17 full-time sworn Law Enforcement Officers. The department is additionally staffed by nine civilian employees that provide operational support in the records, property/evidence, and 24/7 communications divisions.
History of the Port Richey
The City of Port Richey was incorporated by a particular legislative act signed by Governor John Martin in May 1925. The first City Marshall named at the time of incorporation was Clyde Daso, who remained in that position until approximately 1928. The City Marshall served as the sole primary law enforcement officer responsible for enforcement within the city limits. On April 14th, 1947, the City Council considered the imprisonment of persons sentenced by the “Mayor Court of Port Richey” in either the city or county jail. One “City Jail” cell remains intact in the back hallways of the Port Richey Fire Department and is currently used for secure storage.
In 1959, the agency expanded after discussing with the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office and the Florida Highway Patrol when it was decided to hire a Deputy Marshall. In 1969, Joseph Donahue held the position of City Marshall and made the historical transition to the first Chief of Police of the City of Port Richey as the leader of eight patrolmen and two “cadets.”
In June of 1978, the City Council voted to abolish the Police Department and contracted with the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office to provide law enforcement services to the City of Port Richey. Approximately a year and a half later, in November of 1979, the City of Port Richey Police Department was resurrected, with Larry Colin being named Chief of Police. The Port Richey Police Department has since continued to provide law enforcement services to the residents and visitors to the city.